[p2p-research] Fwd: [fcforum] Fw: iPad DRM is a dangerous step backward. Sign the petition!

Kevin Carson free.market.anticapitalist at gmail.com
Fri Feb 5 19:32:24 CET 2010

On 2/5/10, Michel Bauwens <michelsub2004 at gmail.com> wrote:

> to make sure I'm not understood, what I'm advocating is not IP repression,
> but to have the ability to have systems that people could subscribe to (for
> the U.S. for example), and the income would go to the artists; or
> alternatively the european way, a very modest tax (think tobin tax), could
> be levied on digital players, and the income would again go to the artists.
> In the latter case, music could be totally free.

Thanks for the explanation, Michel.  But I don't see how the system
could work without either some sort of state action to discourage the
purchase of unauthorized copies, or to regulate and license the sale
of players subject to oversight by the taxing authorities.  Not but
that this would be vastly superior to DRM/DMCA, of course.

--
Kevin Carson
The Homebrew Industrial Revolution