[p2p-research] Fwd: [fcforum] Fw: iPad DRM is a dangerous step backward. Sign the petition!

Kevin Carson free.market.anticapitalist at gmail.com
Thu Feb 4 22:20:31 CET 2010

On 2/3/10, Ryan Lanham <rlanham1963 at gmail.com> wrote:

Wikipedia
> should always be allowed to be compelling with its own model.  I see no
> justification for anyone blocking free and open.  I also see no reason for
> people to be punished for not choosing free and open.  If Wikipedia is not
> chosen as compelling, it ought not to exist.  By all means, let's have a
> level playing field.  But IP is part of a level playing field.

I agree that people should not be punished for not choosing free and
open.  Anyone who wants to post a copyright notice on his work should
be free to do so, and anyone who voluntarily refrains from reproducing
it out of respect for the creator's proprietary claims should also be
free to do so.  What the creator should NOT be able to do is punish,
or use the state to punish, anyone who does NOT voluntarily refrain
from reproducing the content.   That is not part of a level playing
field.

I think  my view of IP is a mirror image of your view of free open.  I
see no reason for blocking the voluntary claim of copyright or the
recognition of that claim on a purely voluntary basis.  But I also see
no reason for people to be punished for not choosing to recognize or
obey copyright claims.

--
Kevin Carson
Mutualist Blog:  Free Market Anti-Capitalism