[p2p-research] Fwd: [fcforum] Fw: iPad DRM is a dangerous step backward. Sign the petition!

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 4 15:36:19 CET 2010

On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 8:20 PM, Andy Robinson <ldxar1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> "The only way to impose open and free in a world where many if not most
> individuals wish to protect their creations would be through dictatorial
> coercion."
>
> Why?
>
> All that would be needed is to *not prevent* others from copying.  This is
> a net *reduction* in the level of coercion.

But that is already the case; the prevention is only marginal and
ineffictive. What I talk about is a universal license, which would allow
legitimate services to operate with full quality, and provide the creators
with an income. As opposed to forbid any creator any temporary protection of
his work, and going against the 98% of the population which finds moderate
copyright to be ethically good. I don't see any practical way for the 2% of
total abolitionists to get their way without coercion.

Otherwise, I share your distinctions between market mechanisms and
capitalism,

Michel