[p2p-research] Fwd: [fcforum] Fw: iPad DRM is a dangerous step backward. Sign the petition!

M. Fioretti mfioretti at nexaima.net
Thu Feb 4 07:44:18 CET 2010

On Wed, Feb 03, 2010 22:42:10 PM +0000, Andy Robinson (ldxar1 at gmail.com) wrote:
> "secondly, it's a good habit to check online before judging people."
>
> Hence confirming: not a poet, not writing from experience, therefore positing
> abstract self.  As I quite rightly stated at the start.

I have the impression that, after being so lazy to not search by
yourself online what I do for a living, you were also lazy enough to
not read the link I gave you: http://mfioretti.com

That page makes evident in a few seconds, to whoever bothers to
actually read it, that while I am obviously not a poet, what I wrote
in this thread does come from direct experience. I had already said
twice "poetry OR". Even IF what I said were always false about poetry,
it wouldn't be enough to prove that copyright makes no sense or that
would still hurt society if it were reformed as I suggest.

> Your first post in this thread stated that time is inherently scarce
> and that people have to earn a living.  The imposition of an entire
> social system is implicit in these statements.

Gee, I had really never realized it before. Thanks!!! OK, let's say
then that:

1) time IS inherently scarce and limited. that's a law of nature that
   wouldn't change a bit if we didn't need to eat or if guaranteed
   basic income became available worldwide. The time we spent in this
   thread won't come back, it is lost for any other thing we could
   have done with it

2) if and when basic income arrives, we'll be finally able to, or have
   to rethink copyright and lots of other things. I fully agree on
   that. Until that day, I see my analysis of the actual situation and
   the copyright reform proposals (NOT abolition) that come out of it
   having a much, much bigger potential to benefit society as a whole
   than any speculation that you made in this thread (regardless of
   their actual value).

Generally speaking, I believe that if, in the last 20/30 years,
intellectuals had spent in creating *mass* interest, understanding and
support for a drastic reduction of copyright _duration_ (= one single
practical topic, that everybody can understand, apply and approve)
half the time they've spent in developing and explaining deep
metaphysical analyses like the one you made here yesterday (AGAIN:
regardless of the actual value of yours analyses, OK?) we'd have
already solved the problem of artificial scarcity of music, school
books or any other creative work.

	   Marco
--
The Online Loser Guide, 2010 edition: