[p2p-research] the panarchical partner state

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 4 05:35:56 CET 2010

(see also:
http://blog.p2pfoundation.net/a-sensible-approach-to-the-state/2010/02/02)

Dear Paul,

I'm publishing your quote on panarchical governance on the 9th, see below.

An extended quote to publish below that article, would be a welcome
addition,

Michel

Panarchical governance: towards a state that isn’t a
state<http://blog.p2pfoundation.net/?p=7240>
[image: photo of Michel Bauwens]
Michel Bauwens
4th February 2010

 We have opened the door on the notion 1) that the state could participate
in the new networks as a legitimate actor, or 2) that the state could
decentralize to the point of being a network itself. Certainly states
participate in networks already, but for many global networks the impetus to
their formation is the failure of the state to adequately address their
interests. The result is a general antipathy toward the state, a resistance
to its inclusion, and an oppositional attitude. On the second point, the
primary characteristic of statehood is an embrace of hierarchy (at least
one), i.e. that the state is the supreme legitimate representative of the
collective will and that all others must be ultimately subject to it. This
fundamentally at odds with the “plurilateralist” nature of networks.
Therefore, in both instances, it may be that for the state to continue to
participate effectively it would have to overcome its own nature, or
state-ness, and in so doing would no longer be a state in any real sense.

The above quote is from Paul Hartzog’s master essay on Panarchy:

* Panarchy: Governance in the Network
Age<http://panarchy.com/Members/PaulBHartzog/Papers/Panarchy%20-%20Governance%20in%20the%20Network%20Age.htm>

It has a definite relation with our own concept of Partner State.

My conviction regarding the state is that:

1) it is a current inevitability

2) in the long term, we do need an expression of general interests that is
separate from a mere federation of private interests, even if these are
expressed by peer governed civil society networks

But it is important to realize that the current form of a class-based state,
which needs to balance 1) the interests of the dominant factions; 2) the
social balance of forces and the interest of the whole system; 3) and its
own interests as a separate entity …

is not an eternal form of that general interest.

Our notion of the Partner State is a transitional concept, that would allow
the state to evolve from its current corporate welfare orientation, to one
where it both becomes an enabler and servant of civil society and its peer
networks, and a arbiter in charge of meta-governance between public, private
and common/civil functions.

What I’m predicting is that 1) many new functions will progressively replace
state functions as they are made progressively redundant; and 2) that for
the remaining functions, the very nature of the state as an oppressive
entity will change.

It is my understanding that Paul Hartzog’s approach, as evidenced in the
quote above, is quite congruent with that.

As he writes, in what could be an alternative definition of the Partner
State concept:

*it may be that for the state to continue to participate effectively it
would have to overcome its own nature, or state-ness, and in so doing would
no longer be a state in any real sense.*