[p2p-research] really interesting take on the iPad

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 4 03:26:21 CET 2010

well, I certainly don't want the p2p foundation to be a cult, and that it
remains pluralistic and with space for all

I agree that there is a danger that open principles are considered to
literal and prohibit to see the forest through the trees ... for example,
the iPad can be 'at the same time', closed because of the DRM, but open
because of ePub and so innovative in its design that it can create new
layers of users that could not use more textual interfaces ... Of course,
I'm saying 'could be' here as I have not seen the iPad, nor followed the
debate to closely. I tend to have less affinity with the gadget crazes that
affect the digital milieu.

It has always been my point that p2p dynamics do not require 'pure'
infrastructures, but can operate as long as individuals can communicate and
act together, even over otherwise impure and constraining platforms

A dogmatic approach to openness may not allow you to see that.