[p2p-research] really interesting take on the iPad

Ryan Lanham rlanham1963 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 4 02:14:46 CET 2010

On Wed, Feb 3, 2010 at 4:55 PM, Andy Robinson <ldxar1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Becoming a cult doesn't work?  Why not?  It worked for the world bank.
>
> http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=dSubR-CeeNwC&dq=george+sabelli&source=bl&ots=5BuFjtShmD&sig=7lca2hZcGtiPRV3iHIq15msyN24&hl=en&ei=FfBpS4XgAYr80wTMmb2mCA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=10&ved=0CCIQ6AEwCQ
>
> Speaking of copyright and cults...
>
> http://atheism.about.com/od/scientology/ig/Anonymous-Protest--Scientology.--Vq/Scientology-s-Lawsuits.htm
> Oh no, nothing wrong with IP there, it's really bad for the cults...

There is no one who says IP is perfect, or that there are not abuses.  There
are problems with every sort of legal framework.  That's why we have courts,
lawyers, advocates, associations, etc.  And yes, courts sometimes get it
wrong...and then we have legislatures...and they screw up too and we have
votes...and it all takes years and years frustratingly...and even then it
might now work.

But the trend is toward openness.  The trend is toward greater
transparency.  The trend is toward free.  Tim Lee is right.  Anyone who is
pushing very hard for DRM is walking into a stronger wind.  I think it can
work for a while.  Let's hope it motivates the rest of us to be clever in
response.  In the meantime, I'll be tuning in and tuning out to some Daft
Punk on my Touch.

My own view is that those things are going to happen without open source or
P2P heroes.  The system is simply evolving in that direction.  I salute the
catalysts who pushed things forward in a genuinely selfless way.  I hope
there are more of them.  But it really doesn't matter much either way.  It's
coming regardless.