[p2p-research] Repurposing Profit for User Freedom

Ryan Lanham rlanham1963 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 3 18:58:27 CET 2010

On 2/3/10, Kevin Carson <free.market.anticapitalist at gmail.com> wrote:

> Each has the effect of creating artificial scarcity, and IMO
> artificial scarcity resulting from artificial property rights is the
> central evil of corporate capitalism.

I think it is high time to separate the term artificial scarcity from
abundance.  Abundance is about capacity.  Artificial scarcity isn't.  I
think there is no coherent view of what artificial scarcity is or what it
would look like in practice in a modern society.  Increasingly I am of a
mind that "artificial scarcity" is a nonsensical term.  It sounds like it
means someone is blocking abundance.  That isn't what it means.  It means
someone is taking abundance.  Those are two very different ideas.

Ryan