[p2p-research] iPad DRM is a dangerous step backward. Sign the petition!

Tomas Rawlings tom at fluffylogic.net
Wed Feb 3 13:00:57 CET 2010

> does anyone have an overview of how drm has fared on the iPod over
> time? that could be instructive,
>
> Tom?

The iPod began with DRM - I'd suspect pushed by the major labels before
they'd agree then as the users began to get annoyed with it, there was a
slow unwinding of the DRM.  Perhaps the most tacit admission that DRM
was not adding value was the adding of 30cents per track to remove it:
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-10132759-37.html - suggesting that DRM
was lowering the cost of the experience.

So while it has died on music, it is is still very active in many other
areas of Apple's business.
http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20090108/1403283335.shtml - again I
suspect that the companies who they were dealing with demanded some kind
of DRM before they got involved - which I except to see erode away over
time.  Thus far with the net what happens in music has then tended to
follow into other areas of media - film, games etc.

--
Tomas

Tomas Rawlings
Development Director, FluffyLogic Development Ltd.
web: www.fluffylogic.net
tel: 0117 9442233
-
Also see:
blog on film & interweb: www.plugincinema.com
blog on p2p, media ecology & evolution: blog.catbot.org
tweet: www.twitter.com/arclightfire