[p2p-research] Fwd: [fcforum] Fw: iPad DRM is a dangerous step backward. Sign the petition!

Kevin Carson free.market.anticapitalist at gmail.com
Wed Feb 3 03:52:26 CET 2010

On 2/2/10, Michel Bauwens <michelsub2004 at gmail.com> wrote:

> But I have a question for you: you say power is a zero sum game. If we
> define power as the ability to influence others, why could we not have a
> equipotential conception of power.

When I say power is a zero sum game, I simply mean that coercive power
is a zero-sum game.  When force is initiated against a nonaggressor,
by definition, one person is forced to accept a different outcome than
he would otherwise have freely chosen; that means he is forced to
accept a lesser utility, so that someone else can receive a greater
utility at his expense.  Force is a means for benefiting one person at
another's expense.

To bring up Ryan's earlier response to my
Britannica->Encarta->Wikipedia example, he said that it's OK to rig
the game so that Britannica is protected if consumers "choose" that
alternative.  My point is that it's not a consumer choice if force is
used to restrict Wikipedia's ability to compete, or to limit the
conditions under which it is allowed to compete.  By definition, when
the power of the state suppresses competition in the supply of
proprietary content, choice is not free.  Only if there are no entry
barriers to the competitive supply of content, without any enforcement
of "intellectual property," is there such a thing as genuine choice.

But if power is used simply in the sense of "empowerment," as you use
it below, I agree with you completely.