[p2p-research] A proposal seeking your Endorsement

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 2 08:54:29 CET 2010

thanks for your input Edward,

Apart from a specific reaction to this initiative, you make general points
about conferencing.

I personally disagree, and think we should see the various parts of the
puzzle as integrative.

I do believe that F2F conferencing is very important for anyone, both on the
local and at the international level, as it sustains the community and the
committment, and for example that's why we have had 6 or 7 meetings with
people of the Foundation. The virtual strengthens the physical and vice
versa, and they are not separated, nor should they.

Of course this is a separate question of whether specific political
processes such as the WSF or this new proposed international are necessary
and successfull.

I certainly feel that Seattle and the WSF were instrumental in changing the
whole tonality of social change, away from the TINA mindset of the 80's and
90s. Have their lost their way since? From outside, it seems indeed that
summit-hopping has had its time, but perhaps they are involved in a lot of
constructive work in their many regional activities?

I think that doers, as you are, should find connections with fighters and
political warriors, as politics can create a framework in which your efforts
can be dramatically more important.

But that doesn't mean that everybody should do everything. In my own case,
having 'been there, done that', I share of disgust of political
demonstrations and endless processing at collective meetings, but I try to
distinguish my personal perspective, from the general situation ... That it
is something that is 'not for me', doesn't mean that it is not necessary.

I still think that,

1) if you don't take care of politics, politics will take care of you

and perhaps contradictorily

2) everything we do is political

I also believe in this general phased growth process of new social
practices: 1) starting as subcultures; 2) creating their own institutions to
insure their further survival; 3) engaging with, and struggling against, the
old institutions which don't want them to emerge or become dominant ...

We are passed stage one, already between 2 and 3,