[p2p-research] Repurposing Profit for User Freedom

Kevin Carson free.market.anticapitalist at gmail.com
Mon Feb 1 22:29:32 CET 2010

On 2/1/10, Richard Stallman <rms at gnu.org> wrote:
>     2a) in the area of IP, by rapid improvements in encryption and
>     anonymization, the proliferation of darknets, etc., that make our
>     activity completely opaque to the state;

> When you say "IP" do you really mean "copyright"?
>  If not, then what?

It would primarily involve copyrights, although such opacity would
also protect patent infringement where infringing industrial designs
were exchanged in the form of CAD files.

But in general, I think IP means IP.  I'm familiar with your objection
to the use of "intellectual property" as a catchall term, but IMO it's
very useful because of the commonalities between the different forms
of IP.  They're all based on the same general principle:  enforcing
artificial scarcity through monopoly "ownership" in the right to
duplicate patterns or information, to the extent that such "property"
rights override my right to do as I will with my own genuine (i.e.,
tangible) property.

--
Kevin Carson
Mutualist Blog:  Free Market Anti-Capitalism