[p2p-research] [Commoning] - Re: ?ce

j.martin.pedersen m.pedersen at lancaster.ac.uk
Fri Dec 31 14:17:56 CET 2010

On 31/12/10 06:04, Roberto Verzola wrote:

>> Does the tree not drink water, does it not grow in soil that was stolen
>> from the native people, does your friend not labour to care for it at
>> all?
>>
> Trees normally don't need human care to bear fruits. But people can do
> so if it makes them happy.

I think that almost all important fruit trees known to the human kind
are results of intergenerational efforts of selective breeding,
transporting and sustained care. Even tribal people in a rain forest,
even though it is difficult to see, often intervene into the forest,
aiding some plants, freeing up space for them to grow better, offering
them sacrifices.

I think that topsoil needs human care to be lush and fat and in
continuous good condition for trees to bear nice fruit.

Unless we disconnect ourselves from the past and the future, and
disregard wider social relations in favour of an objective view of
separate objects in nature and laboratories, the qualitative differences
between agricultural, industrial (those have merged in the era where
they have been vuiewed in that manner) and digital production (which is
very industrial) is not something that strikes me as of primary importance.

It is almost a crude marxist perspective to focus primarily on the
isolated process of production in these respects, and not primarily on a
much wider set of social relations.