[p2p-research] [Commoning] Information sector: a qualitative different mode of production?

j.martin.pedersen m.pedersen at lancaster.ac.uk
Fri Dec 31 14:00:00 CET 2010

On 31/12/10 06:04, Roberto Verzola wrote:

>> Another very common theme in these discussions is that the
>> economics of this production is now very different from the
>> past - as though the underlying Mode of Production and ownership
>> of the Means of Production is no longer an issue.
>>
> I will argue that there are important qualitative differences between
> production in the agriculture, industrial and information fields.

Yes, for sure, but - from a philosophical perspective of property
relations - I will argue that the focus here is on the *thing*, which I
in turn will argue is a misleading focus derived from the philosophy of
capitalism, where property has become a noun and thus signifying an
object. Property, however, is (better understood as) social relations
with regard to things, and it is not the nature of the object or its
essence that ought to be important in the first instance, but the social
relations and environments that affect it and are effected by it that
are important in the first instance of articulating property relations
and the architecture of social organisation.

I have argued this at length in an essay that has just been published in
The Commoner:
http://www.commoner.org.uk/

and reproduced here:
http://commoning.wordpress.com/