[p2p-research] Information sector: a qualitative different mode of production?

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 31 07:45:54 CET 2010

Roberto,

I of course agree with your distinctions,

but I think the argument here requires a different response,

whatever the differences, between the modalities you describe, they all
happen within the context of an existing capitalist world-economy and its
means and modalities of ownership,

the 3 forms you describe, could also exist in a different context,

the argument is therefore, is whether the newly emergent forms of peer
production, can be used to transform the present dominant forms of
capitalism and ownership

again the answer here can be seen as either/or. I believe Martin argues
essentially, peer production is an instrument of capitalism; cyber-utopians
may argue the opposite

my argument would be, it's a terrain of struggle, peer production have both
immanent (strengthen the existing system) and transcendent (significantly
transcends its logic to actually endanger it) aspects,

my more sophisticated argument is that it can be and/or, that while
apparently reinforcing some aspects of capitalism, but also transforming it
to new forms; it can simultaneously strengtthen its transcendental potential

my reading of history suggests this is exactly how the phase transitions
occured in the past, i.e. it is only the immanent aspects of the emerging
new  modalities of production, which actually guaranteed its eventual
dominance

this does not mean that it obviates social and class struggles, but it
suggests that commoners can also use the immanent aspects for their own
advantage,

what we need therefore, is to work on forms of peer production that, while
taking advantage of immanent aspects, make significant headway in terms of
its transcending aspects (changes in modalities of ownership and autonomous
social organisation) to move from emergence to parity to phase transition

it's all about building and strengthen a counter-hegemony or
counter-economy, in phase with social movements; it's about combining the
construction of the new, while we struggle against the old

pragmatically, it's all about an alliance between knowledge workers (the
social drivers behind peer production), the traditional social movements of
the agricultural and industrial modalities, and the enterpreneurial forces
that embrace the new property models that respect and favour the commons

people who are at the side of the commoners, but oppose digital empowerment
for various reasons, are a difficult problem to solve in this scenario <g>

Michel