[p2p-research] - Re: [Commoning] �ce

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 31 05:38:17 CET 2010

Hi Martin,

Roberto's work is still best to understand the difference between abundance
and scarcity logics, see
http://blog.p2pfoundation.net/?s=%22Roberto+Verzola%22

simply put, nature for example, will naturally produce abundant food (see
marshall sahlin), and terminator seeds will kill this process making it
artificially scarce

or in the digital field, multiplying print books will increase cost despite
economies of scale,while the spread of digital books will only do this
marginally,

hence, If I steal your physical book, you won't have one anymore (scarcity),
if I still your digital copy, you still have it (abundance)

quite easy to grasp, and of course not independent of resource use as you
rightly point out, but resource use has dramatically different effects

the abundance logic is not about denying natural or human or technological
resources, but about pointing the different effects they can have,

the market is a scarcity allocation resource, capitalism is a
scarcity-engineering method,

and peer to peer economics are about using resources to generate abundance
where possible, avoid artifiial scarcities that are unneccesary, and manage
scarcities in equitable ways

using open design and innovation through peer production, where there are no
scarcity engineering effects, is one of the best ways to achieve
sustainability and resilience, as compared to the scarcity engineering
effects of capitalism

it is the latter (open design through collaborative p2p communities) that
has to be used, to work on the resource use of the digital commons, just as
physical communities have to work on their own resource use

both efforts are greatly weakened, by the logic of accumulation of capital,
and would be best served if market logics become peripheral and only apply
to the allocation of scarce goods