[p2p-research] [Commoning] important questions for the p2p movement

Dante-Gabryell Monson dante.monson at gmail.com
Mon Dec 27 00:55:33 CET 2010

a quick personal reply to questions sent by Michel, in between the lines...

On Mon, Dec 27, 2010 at 12:12 AM, Michel Bauwens <michelsub2004 at gmail.com>wrote:

> Is anyone interested in going through these questions, say, one by one,
> they were asked by Frederic Sultan in preparation of the next world social
> forum in dakar, with as important theme the commons:
>
> Dakar questions:
>

>  The framework of the WSF (the February 7 to 11) is the place to address
>
> the consequences and possibilities of reclaiming the commons to change the
>
> world:
>
> - How to design the welfare state at the age of commons ?

Through re-claiming interdependency ,

eventually through distributed transaction contracts
enabling any type of relational dynamics, or combination of relational
dynamics,
with any kind of chosen units of measurement ( currencies ) ,
as to be able to choose what nodes/agents in the system to support based on
available information, such as the history of redistribution or use of the
productivity of the interdependencies engaged in.

- How do the Rights of Mother Earth and the Commons approach complement

> each other in re-designing international solidarity?

from my point of view, Mother Earth IS our part of our Commons.

For me, It depends how we choose, transaction by transaction, how to nurture
our commons.

Hence information systems , from my point of view, are central.

Transaction contracts, including any type of relational dynamics and
transactions between them, can potentially determine such outcome in an
emergent way.

A priority from my point of view, is to choose to progressively opt out of
parasitic resource allocation information systems, such as capitalist
information systems,

and refocus on distributed, progressively more and more localized,
interdependencies and emergent distributed resource management.

- What about popular education in the commons context ?

with each other, free access, basic income for each to have time to pursue
its learning interests.

if basic income does not come from current states, it can come from the
surplus of the local economic networks we engage in. ( such as cooperatives
)

> - What are the transformations of political processes and governance in
>
> the era of the commons? How are changing the ways of doing politics ? what
>
> consequences and opportunities for social movements?

"emergent"
"distributed" and networked
hopefully "transparent"

> - What rôle does economic actors play in the commons (free software,
>
> wiki…, foundations, corporations, mutualism, local solidarity economic
>
> actors, …) in the economy at global and local levels ? How ? what
>
> alliances ? Business …and so what ?

any kind of alliances are possible through a realm of transaction contract
graphs / and the alternative currencies used or created based on such
transaction contracts.

any agent in the system can choose what relational dynamics and transaction
contracts to engage in, or with what agents to choose to interact with based
on their mode of interaction with others.

hybrid,
it becomes an emergent system of incentive towards holistic choices,
resting on all layers of needs.

- What are the roles of the commons regarding the consequences of the

> exploitation of natural resources (war, slave-work, environmental
>
> diseases, destruction of cultural patrimony, … ) ?

Good question.

Is there, or will there still be a ( centralized ? ) law system and ( state
? ) control as to decide to enforce contracts ?

Or will contracts become purely voluntary, based on reputation, hence having
an impact on future interdependencies of how agents use resources ?

In both cases, do licenses help ?
Does it help to license a commons ?
Can we , for example, license the use of water for non-warfare use ? Or the
use of the commons infrastructure to extract the water ?
And if yes, what defines warfare ? or the specifics of the license ?
Can we have distributed systems where each individual can end up choosing to
boycott what does not suit their own preferences ?

- What are the structures needed by social movements, and that they will

> assume, in order to be able to spread the idea of the commons as a
>
> political objective or demand, and to build an inclusive dynamic that
>
> allow people who are not at this point producers of commons to become part
>
> of the game ?

All structures that enable basic living and autonomous local production +
access to water , energy, transportation, communication