[p2p-research] Fwd: <nettime> Wikileaks and Protocol

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 26 15:16:57 CET 2010

VERY interesting discussion on how dns access control may have shifted to
google,

From: Dante-Gabryell Monson <dante.monson at gmail.com>
Date: Mon, Dec 20, 2010 at 3:03 AM
Subject: Fwd: <nettime> Wikileaks and Protocol
To: Michel Bauwens <michelsub2004 at gmail.com>, Samuel Rose <
samuel.rose at gmail.com>, Sepp Hasslberger <sepp at lastrega.com>

interesting thread...

a link Jaromil shared :
*
*
*http://www.coralcdn.org/*
*

"Coral is a free peer-to-peer content distribution network, comprised of a
world-wide network of web proxies and nameservers. It allows a user to run a
web site that offers high performance and meets huge demand, all for the
price of a $50/month cable modem.

Publishing through CoralCDN is as simple as appending a short string to the
hostname of objects' URLs; a peer-to-peer DNS layer transparently redirects
browsers to participating caching proxies, which in turn cooperate to
minimize load on the source web server. "
*

and another reference given by Rory, in this thread :

1998 ( ? ) paper by Ted Byfield , "DNS: A short history
and a short future" :

http://outreach.lib.uic.edu/www/issues/issue4_3/byfield/index.html

excerpted :

<http://outreach.lib.uic.edu/www/issues/issue4_3/byfield/index.html>*"DNS
policies inflexibly founded on past conditions have conspired with marketing
forces to create an illusory scarcity of domain names."*
*
*
***"The benefit that DNS offers is its "higher level of abstraction" - a
stable addressing layer that permits more reliable communications across
networks where changing IP numbers change and heterogeneous
hardware/software configurations are the norm. But "higher" is a relative
term: as the substance of the Net changes - as what's communicated is
transformed both in kind and in degree, and as the technical proficiency of
its users drops while their number explodes - DNS's level of abstraction is
sinking relative to its surroundings"
*
Forwarded conversation