[p2p-research] Fwd: Resolve to be a commoner in 2011!

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 22 04:05:44 CET 2010

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: On the Commons <office at onthecommons.org>
Date: Wed, Dec 22, 2010 at 4:54 AM
Subject: Resolve to be a commoner in 2011!
To: michelsub2004 at gmail.com

[image: On the Commons logo]

 To our fellow commoners:

A new movement is emerging.  Across the U.S. and around the world, people
are rediscovering the commons today. Spurred by On the Commons and other
forces, they are seeing, naming and claiming what belongs to all of us.

At On the Commons<http://org2.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=n8mP3jqy94sia%2BkVqFHP9rbMix%2BHybym>,
we are involved in a remarkable variety of efforts to reconstitute
community, relocalize food, preserve water as a commons, move towards
cooperative economics and better harmonize our lives with the health of our
planet.  As a commons movement strategy center, we connect organizations,
community leaders and individuals with new ideas, practical solutions and
one another to create significant change.

2011 marks our 10th anniversary and a big year for the commons in general.
We will be:

   - On the road organizing commons convergences and meeting with local
   commoners in communities across the country as well as connecting commoners
   to one another to grow our movement.
   - Launching a Great Lakes Commons
initiative<http://org2.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=w2QSQe97t7ri84Fy0pKJDrbMix%2BHybym>–a
multi-year partnership with many other organizations to declare and
live
   our Great Lakes as a commons, public trust and protected bioregion.
    - Convening a farmland commons conference exploring tools and strategies
   to name and claim farmland as a commons.
    - Continuing our influential coverage of commons news and commentary on
   OntheCommons.org and in the media raising the visibility of the commons
   movement and promoting our new book *All That We Share: A Field Guide to
   the Commons*<http://org2.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=XXUI5wXZXmniCx4%2B3cl1kbbMix%2BHybym>

Join us!  Resolve to be a commoner in 2011.  Here are a few suggestions:

   - See yourself as a commoner - look around, what are the commons you
   value? How can you work with others to see, name and claim our commons?

    - Contribute to On the
Commons<http://org2.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=SbXezQ9obETKGEauUnTwnbbMix%2BHybym>.
   Demand for our work is growing exponentially. If you believe with us that a
   new way of understanding of what we share and how we share it is critical to
   our future, please make a donation to our work.  *We will send you a gift
   of our new book All That We Share: A Field Guide to the Commons when you
   contribute<http://org2.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=0iwCgM49r6ujTsAHTJBtObbMix%2BHybym>$35
or more
   *.

    - Share our work with your networks.  Follow us on twitter
@Onthecommons<http://org2.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=ZE0jA2ASLG8X2fujOGBoK7bMix%2BHybym>andFacebook<http://org2.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=WzBg94zks3%2B%2BBLxFufQN%2BLbMix%2BHybym>.
   There are many great articles and commons examples at
OntheCommons.org<http://org2.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=qEIrtuGBd3lnYaFYpKtY%2F7bMix%2BHybym>.
   Please read and share these through email, blogs, and social media channels.
   All of our articles are under the creative commons license and meant to be
   shared!

    - Carry the commons into your daily life. Many commoners are
   incorporating the commons into their daily practices, organizational forums
   and mission statements. Try it out where you are. Share with us your ideas,
   questions and experiences in this process. Email us at
   office at onthecommons.org.

    - Challenge threats to the commons in your community and around the
   world.  Water, the social security trust fund, global warming, our food, our
   parks, our libraries and the Internet are all commons in need of commoners
   stewarding and protecting for future generations.

    - Read *All That We
Share*<http://org2.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=bOhMOaPYP7jh9SLem6wjLLbMix%2BHybym>In
your book group (or create a book group to read it an other commons
   books)!

Since 2001, On the Commons has sparked collaborations, showcased
commons-based solutions at the community and national level, developed
approaches of how to share our commons equitably and given inspiration to
commons activists to make a difference in their communities-- and the world.
*Join On the Commons<http://org2.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=z8bYaqJrRKI44xHW5u%2B2nBtNFTlOXbGy>to
help deepen, boost and animate these vital efforts in 2011
*

This is the commons moment.  Together we can live and create the commons
vision of a society where “we” matters as much as “me” shines as a beacon of
hope for a better world.

With hope and gratitude:

*Julie, Ana, Faye, Alexa, Jay, Albert*
 for the On the Commons network