[p2p-research] "We need more megalopolises"

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 21 02:49:26 CET 2010

this is also of great interest, and related to patterns, in some way, though
it appears reductionist:

(and on the surface, it appears wrong to me, surely , there are widely
different crime rates per million in various cities,while this article
suggests they would be 'constant')

- After two years of analysis, West and Bettencourt discovered that all of
these urban variables could be described by a few exquisitely simple
equations. For example, if they know the population of a metropolitan area
in a given country, they can estimate, with approximately 85 percent
accuracy, its average income and the dimensions of its sewer system. These
are the laws, they say, that automatically emerge whenever people
“agglomerate,” cramming themselves into apartment buildings and subway cars.
It doesn’t matter if the place is Manhattan or Manhattan, Kan.: the urban
patterns remain the same. West isn’t shy about describing the magnitude of
this accomplishment. “What we found are the constants that describe every
city,” he says. “I can take these laws and make precise predictions about
the number of violent crimes and the surface area of roads in a city in
Japan with 200,000 people. I don’t know anything about this city or even
where it is or its history, but I can tell you all about it. And the reason
I can do that is because every city is really the same.” After a pause, as
if reflecting on his hyperbole, West adds: “Look, we all know that every
city is unique. That’s all we talk about when we talk about cities, those
things that make New York different from L.A., or Tokyo different from
Albuquerque. But focusing on those differences misses the point. Sure, there
are differences, but different from what? We’ve found the what.”