[p2p-research] "We need more megalopolises"

Athina Karatzogianni athina.k at gmail.com
Mon Dec 20 22:47:13 CET 2010

Marco
You might also want to check out Saskia Sassen's The Global City, if you
havent already. her site http://www.saskiasassen.com/
Cheers
Athina

On Mon, Dec 20, 2010 at 6:12 AM, M. Fioretti <mfioretti at nexaima.net> wrote:

> Still reading it, haven't a real opinion yet:
>

> http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/19/magazine/19Urban_West-t.html?_r=2&pagewanted=all
>
> The reason I'm inviting to read it on a list like this is this
> paragraph:
>
>        [West] suggests, for instance, that modern cities are the real
>        centers of sustainability. According to the data, people who
>        live in densely populated places require less heat in the
>        winter and need fewer miles of asphalt per capita... Small
>        communities might look green, but they consume a
>        disproportionate amount of everything. As a result, West
>        argues, creating a more sustainable society will require our
>        big cities to get even bigger. We need more megalopolises.
>
> comments are very welcome
>
> Marco

Dr Athina Karatzogianni
Lecturer in Media, Culture and Society
The Dean's Representative (Chinese Partnerships)
Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences
The University of Hull
United Kingdom
HU6 7RX