[p2p-research] "We need more megalopolises"

Christian Siefkes christian at siefkes.net
Mon Dec 20 12:25:24 CET 2010

Hi Marco,

M. Fioretti wrote:
> Still reading it, haven't a real opinion yet:
>
> http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/19/magazine/19Urban_West-t.html?_r=2&pagewanted=all
>
> The reason I'm inviting to read it on a list like this is this
> paragraph:
>
> 	[West] suggests, for instance, that modern cities are the real
> 	centers of sustainability. According to the data, people who
> 	live in densely populated places require less heat in the
> 	winter and need fewer miles of asphalt per capita... Small
> 	communities might look green, but they consume a
> 	disproportionate amount of everything. As a result, West
> 	argues, creating a more sustainable society will require our
> 	big cities to get even bigger. We need more megalopolises.
>
> comments are very welcome

I think a some point where cities become too big to function properly, so
"more megalopolises" (instead of just "more towns and cities") sounds more
than doubtful. However, there can be little doubt that life in cities is
generally more energy- and resource-efficient than rural life (shorter
distances, more public transport, less heating per person required etc.).
Any sustainable society will require a high degree of urbanization.

Sadly, the article to cite is locked behind a paywall. Could you full-quote
it to free it?

Thanks
	Christian

--
|------- Dr. Christian Siefkes ------- christian at siefkes.net -------
| Homepage: http://www.siefkes.net/ | Blog: http://www.keimform.de/
|    Peer Production Everywhere:       http://peerconomy.org/wiki/
|---------------------------------- OpenPGP Key ID: 0x346452D8 --
There has been a relentless and disturbing rise in moral standards over
the years. It worries me.
        -- Stephen Fry, The Hippopotamus