[p2p-research] Fwd: ...anti-GMO petition amid raging legal battle

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 17 11:26:25 CET 2010

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Dante-Gabryell Monson <dante.monson at gmail.com>
Date: Fri, Dec 17, 2010 at 12:19 AM
Subject: ...anti-GMO petition amid raging legal battle
To: sustainable_solidarity at yahoogroups.com, hc_ecology at yahoogroups.com

http://www.independent.com.mt/news.asp?newsitemid=117127

excerpts :

European Commission president Jose Manuel Barroso refused to receive the
document on Thursday, sending the EU’s Health Commissioner, John Dalli
instead. Mr Dalli welcomed the petition, but warned that the ECI had not
been fully set up yet, drawing a question mark over the anti-GMO document.

“We have agreed to receive the petition today but at this point I can’t
commit on action taken by the Commission,” said Mr Dalli.

“Strictly speaking, they would have to do it all over again,” Commission
administration spokesman Michael Mann told this website last month. “The
Greenpeace view that the petition counts as the Lisbon Treaty is in place
doesn’t stand up to legal scrutiny.”

The environmental group says an independent legal assessment supports their
position.

“The omission by the European Parliament and the Council to adopt the
implementing provisions ... does not affect the EU citizens to exercise
their right,” Professor Ludwig Kramer of ClientEarth concluded in an October
legal opinion commissioned by Greenpeace.