[p2p-research] alternative email infrastructure

Samuel Rose samuel.rose at gmail.com
Wed Dec 15 15:07:21 CET 2010

On Sun, Dec 12, 2010 at 3:40 AM, Michel Bauwens <michelsub2004 at gmail.com> wrote:
> http://stop.zona-m.net/2010/05/the-big-limits-of-todays-email-privacy-barriers-and-robustness/
>
> hi marco,
>
> could you write something like this for us to, eventually even the same
> text, but perhaps with at least one practical suggestion added at the end?
>
> Michel

It seems to me that a good long-term option for people that cannot do
their own system administration would be to create a cooperative-run
datacenter (or datacenters). This would likely still leave you
possibly leasing space, T1 or fractional T connection (so
theoretically still in the space of trusting corporate infrastructure
providers) and perhaps other services (energy) . However, this would
at least be different than using free services provided by
corporations in that you probably *could* sue them in some cases for
certain failures (although, you may be signing off on agreeing not to
do certain activities, you'd have to read the agreements carefully).

There have been some folks that have done this in Chicago, and
recently some friends in Cleveland, OH created a worker-owned
technology cooperative.

Sam Rose
Future Forward Institute and Forward Foundation
Tel:+1(517) 639-1552
Cel: +1-(517)-974-6451
skype: samuelrose
email: samuel.rose at gmail.com