[p2p-research] the connective

Roberto Verzola rverzola at gn.apc.org
Sun Dec 12 01:53:17 CET 2010

I'd like to tell a related story. I coordinate a network that trains
farmers on a new method of rice farming called the system of rice
intensification (http://sri.ciifad.cornell.edu/index.html).

In my experience, out of 10 farmers, we talk to, 8 or 9 would raise all
kinds of problems and reasons why the method will not work. But 1 or 2
would want to try the method out immediately and would keep bothering us
for more information, what the requirements are, how to start, etc. etc.
The latter (the "early adopters") are the people we usually focus our
training attention on. Our success-on-first-try (SOFT) rates are usually
much better with them than with the former, who tend to give up too soon.

It is often the success of the early adopters that gets the skeptics to
eventually try the method too. And then some of these skeptics often
turn out to be eventually as enthusiastic in their promotion of SRI,
after they have actually tried it out. The important thing is to
convince them to try it out first.

Roberto