[p2p-research] Fwd: Fw: Call for Papers: Theorizing the Web 2011 conference

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 12 01:49:21 CET 2010

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Michael Bauwens <michelsub2003 at yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, Dec 10, 2010 at 5:02 PM
Subject: Fw: Call for Papers: Theorizing the Web 2011 conference
To: Michel Bauwens <michelsub2004 at gmail.com>

----- Forwarded Message ----
*From:* nathan jurgenson <njurgenson at socy.umd.edu>
*To:* PJ Rey <pjrey.socy at gmail.com>
*Sent:* Wed, December 8, 2010 10:10:55 AM

Hello,

Based on your expertise related to this topic, I am writing to inform you of
this conference and hope you can help spread our call for papers
[attached].
The website is here:

>From the CfP:
The goal of the conference is to expand the range and depth of theory used
to help us make sense of how the Internet, digitality, and technology have
changed the ways humans live. We hope to bring together researchers
(particularly graduate students and junior faculty) from a range of
disciplines, including sociology, communications, philosophy, economics,
English, history, political science, information science, the performing
arts and many more. In addition, we invite session and other proposals by
tech-industry professionals, journalists, and other figures outside of
academia.

Topics will include:
Identity and self-presentation: concerns of privacy and publicity on the Web
Surveillance, voyeurism, exhibitionism, and secrecy online
The blurring of online and offline, real and virtual, cyborgism and
augmented reality
The Internet and the changing nature of capitalism
How power and inequality (e.g., the Digital Divide) manifest on the Web
Political activism/slacktivism online
Bodies and sexuality in the Digital Age
“Relationship Status” and Online dating
“Prosumption” (i.e., the convergence of production and consumption online)
Global implications of the Internet (or of the multiple Internets)
McDonaldization, rationalization and the Web
Intersections of gender, race, class, age, sexual orientation, and
disability with • respect to any of the above topics.

Thank you!

Nathan Jurgenson & PJ Rey

Co-Chairs
Theorizing the Web 2011 Conference