[p2p-research] the connective

Samuel Rose samuel.rose at gmail.com
Sat Dec 11 22:52:28 CET 2010

On Sat, Dec 11, 2010 at 4:32 PM, Patrick Anderson <agnucius at gmail.com> wrote:

>So only strategies that are currently operational should be considered?

>Why are you so opposed to planning actions before we strike -
>especially considering how terribly murderous against our mother earth
>all past and current approaches have been?

Correct me if I am wrong, but I often see you criticizing approaches
that clearly do not fit this description. Your criticism seems to
center on anything that does not adhere to principles you espouse.
Your message seems to me to be summarizable as "you are doing this
wrong, until and unless you fully adopt the approach that I am
discussing". I could be wrong about that, but it's my current
perception.

> It is dangerous to start an expidetion to somewhere we have never been
> without some planning.

Ok, but the expedition has already begun, for all of us, since they
day we were born. It's a never ending quest. A dynamic and ongoing
expedition. It has elements of old paradigms and elements of new. We
can tell people on an expedition that they should always carry a small
backpack, and should always share their water, and it may sound like a
good idea, but there are going to be times when both of those are not
going to happen. We are going to be in situations where some people
who are participants in our systems are not going to accept our way of
doing things. This includes when people are creating cooperatives,
shared ownership, etc.

A secret that I can share with you is that if you were wiling to *do
the work of implementing your idea within the context of other
people's projects*, people would likely be more ready to adopt what
you are talking about.

People here Michigan use the phrase "Shit tonne" to describe the
amount of work that it would take for a group of people to comply with
re-creating all infrastructure so that it was all completely owned by
participants following the criteria that I've seen you describe. I can
appreciate that you are passionate about getting people to understand
the logic behind what you describe. I think it is a good vision, and
worthy of time and consideration. However, I am passionate also about
creating things people can do now, today, in the contexts that they
are in. This means that there will have to be some compromises, I am
sorry to say.

Sam Rose
Future Forward Institute and Forward Foundation
Tel:+1(517) 639-1552
Cel: +1-(517)-974-6451
skype: samuelrose
email: samuel.rose at gmail.com