[p2p-research] the connective

Samuel Rose samuel.rose at gmail.com
Sat Dec 11 18:57:26 CET 2010

On Sat, Dec 11, 2010 at 12:08 PM, Josef Davies-Coates
<josef at uniteddiversity.com> wrote:

> On 11 December 2010 15:55, Samuel Rose <samuel.rose at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> However, I will share that we've been actively exploring using
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plug_computer as the core component of
>> mesh networks for the purpose of extending connectivity.
>
> Very cool, had not seen those before :)
>
> Sounds like they have serious design faults re: not having a decent heatsink
> and quickly overheating though...
> http://plugcomputer.org/plugforum/index.php?topic=1735.0
>
> Ooodles of potenial though.

Yes, hopefully this will improve over time.

> Saying that, what makes these a better choice over something like
> http://www.open-mesh.com/ ?

I cannot frame it as a *better* or *worse* choice. It is, however a
different choice as far as I can discern.

I was not aware of Open Mesh previous to your sharing it in this
email. It looks like it could be a good/easy option for groups of
people that want to cover for instance a neighborhood with WiFi

>> Arduino devices might also serve as mesh network devices, too
>

> That could be fun too!
>
> Sounds like it would require more development, but I guess we'd end up with
> a more open system?

It's feasible to do now (the hardware exists to create WiFi mesh nets
with Arduino), but not within the reach of most due to the reality
that they would have to construct the software to make it do anything
useful :)

> Cheers,
>
> Josef.
>

> --
> Josef Davies-Coates
> 07974 88 88 95
> http://uniteddiversity.com
> Together We Have Everything

Sam Rose
Future Forward Institute and Forward Foundation
Tel:+1(517) 639-1552
Cel: +1-(517)-974-6451
skype: samuelrose
email: samuel.rose at gmail.com