[p2p-research] Fwd: [P2P-URBANISM WA] Open Simsim. Open Source and Architectural Practice

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 9 10:34:51 CET 2010

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Michael Mehaffy <michael.mehaffy at gmail.com>
Date: Thu, Dec 9, 2010 at 4:29 PM
Subject: Re: [P2P-URBANISM WA] Open Simsim. Open Source and Architectural
Practice
To: p2p-urbanism-world-atlas at googlegroups.com

Dear All,

It's very interesting that in the illustration from the Venice Biennale the
illustrative structure is a tree, not a network.  I think this is a
non-trivial mistake, revealing a deeper structural confusion that pervades
this kind of design thinking. So many of the designs that are made are in
fact trees, imposed top-down, instead of networks, generated collaboratively
and adaptively.  This is the core of a profound problem today - and one that
I hope we can go after in our work rather explicitly.

I think there are two things we must do as part of this effort:

1) Not only connect people in their design works, but also connect them to
the evolutionary patterns of design that they can adapt to their
circumstances, so that they are not "starting from scratch" and making
merely trivial, "affected" designs.  (We have all seen this -- and indeed, a
lot of avant-garde design amounts to the same narrow and maladaptive result
in a much more eloquent literary guise.)

2) Demonstrate the geometries that are necessary (in the connections, i.e.
networks) and likely in the results (i.e. also networks, and fractal
structures, biophilic properties, etc.)

The reason these structures are "likely" is that they are adaptive, and
result from a set of fairly common natural transformations.  We cannot force
them into creation, in a top-down way, but we can check for them in a
qualitative assessment, and an iteractive cycle of correction.  This is what
is largely missing (with serious cousequences) from modern "conceptual"
design.  (e.g. on display at Venice Biennale.)

Best, m

On Thu, Dec 9, 2010 at 5:27 AM, Michel Bauwens <michelsub2004 at gmail.com>wrote:

> fyi:

Michael Mehaffy