[p2p-research] Non digital commons a lot more complicated than Free Software

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 9 01:52:34 CET 2010

I agree with your points Dennis, I was focusing on the other side as
counter-argument to  the argument that we have to thanks patents,

but indeed, the internet is the combined result of government funding and
academic research, open communities, and businesses,

I find it very unlikely though, that companies would have developed an open
internet, and not a series of walled gardens, on their own; of course,
patents are a fact and a reality, but given the evidence of research on
their role in innovation, the historical fact that innovation occured before
patents, I find it hard to see them as 'essential' ingredients and since qua
non condition,

Michel