[p2p-research] Non digital commons a lot more complicated than Free Software

M. Fioretti mfioretti at nexaima.net
Wed Dec 8 08:40:24 CET 2010

On Sun, Nov 28, 2010 11:15:08 AM -0700, Patrick Anderson
(agnucius at gmail.com) wrote:

> But instead of facing the problem of co-owing Physical Sources, we
> are told by Eben Moglen, Richard Stallman and many others that each
> of us must own these things in *absolute isolation* to retain
> Freedom.

Patrick,
why do you say so?

As far as I understand (especially after listening directly to Moglen
recently, I summed up what he said at
http://stop.zona-m.net/2010/10/diversity-freedom-and-education-at-the-open-world-forum/
)

at least Moglen says we should "in isolation" as you say, our own
physical servers, but I really don't think or got the impression that
he tought we could do without a common, centralized, physical telecom
infrastructure.

> We, the Users, will need collectively purchase and/or build and then
> co-own the material infrastructure that our ISPs and Cell-Phone
> providers hold against us before we can finally have any real say in
> how those networks are governed.

Personally, JUST BECAUSE the material infrastructure is very material,
very big, very expensive and very polluting to duplicate, in general I
really don't like proposals of building complete, alternative
networks.  Much better, much more efficient and much more
environmentally sound to reform control of what already exist, IMO.

Marco