[p2p-research] Non digital commons a lot more complicated than Free Software

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 4 04:00:08 CET 2010

thanks a lot Martin for this extensive reply, I won't answer everything
right now, just want to make a start,

let's take the material basis of the digital commons,

I recognize this, many others I know do, and I personally don't know many
people who are not cognizant of this,

that in my view is therefore a red herring,

the more important point is, what can we do about it,

I can only tell you what I try to do about it in the p2p foundation,

first, talk about it and publish studies and contributions about this
material basis, I do this whenever I  come across it and maintain a
specialized tag on this

second, focus on the solution space, how do we activiely diminish the
digital footprint; again there is a special section of the p2p foundation
wiki dedicated to this, covering proposals such as by Bill St. Arnaud and
others,

I'm not claiming I'm doing enough, nor that I give it enough of a
centrality, but what I'm saying is, it's already beyond critique and
complaint; it's about actually doing something about it.

now, even if your claim were true, and free culture advocates are blissfully
unware that they are using computers, energy, and raw materials; this
general accusation is unproductive; what we need is concrete and real
information and solutions; as you say yourself, not ideological, but
technical

as you insist yourself: " I am quite sure that most people understand very
easily that
energy and hardware don't just drop from the sky, but have to be
generated and produced and that this production is environmentally and
humanly costly"

so, given this understanding is there, what is the next step??

Another entirely different question is, how much of a place should this have
strategically?

In my case, my answer is clearly, the issue of the ecological footprint is
subordinated to the overall struggle to change the system, in which the
digital commons is one of the crucial affordances to actually win that
struggle; failure to do so, i.e. creating strength to change the system,
makes any discussion of ecological footprints moot

The digital commons are not just a luxury for western knowledge workers;
they are a crucial ingredient to move productive workers towards peer
production modalities, i.e. combining digital empowerment and shared design,
with the expressions of the social/solidarity economy; a crucial ingredient
in workers struggle; and a crucial ingredient in the self-organization of
the oppressed worldwide

weapons kill, but if you have an enemy that is ready to shoot at you,
considering their usage is legitimate (as is non-violence)

what I see problematic in the  repetition about the materiality of the
digital commons is the following:

- creating a red herring of those that supposedly ignore this

- repeating the claim with the unspoken assumption that everyone should say
'mea culpa, yes  you are right and we are wrong', but at the same time, not
contributing in any concrete way to actually dealing with the  issue of the
ecological footprint

This is what I invite you to, to focus less on accusing others of 'not
getting it', but simply contribute to the discourse and concrete solution
space,

now I fully understand that people disagree on the core importance of the
digital commons as key affordance in social change, BUT, this doesn't mean
there is not commonality in other things; unless you would stress in an
absolute way, like say the Amish, that this type of technology should be
forsaken altogether,

I have a different reading of Berlin, since I have not seen any of the
reactions you have seen,

but here is the dynamic from my point of view,

some people, like myself, are trying to build a coalition across of very
wide divide of differences,

typically, in such a conference, there will be a tug of war between two
extremes,

one the one side, people who compose with the system, accept capitalism, or
even reject both but accept or support the market freedom to autonomously
produce and exchange; on the other hand, people on the opposite side of the
spectrum, who reject the system, capitalism, often do not differentiate
between the market and capitalism, and typically, though they are themselves
generally few in number in most meetings, claim to speak for the masses;
this tension is unresolvable, but for people who are trying to maintain the
common space, always problematic, as, given space to one over the other,
generally creates hostility on the other side of the spectrum, always with
the danger that one side will leave; merely insisting on the acceptability
of capitalism or the market will typically enrage the other side; while the
anti-capitalist rhetoric will also alienate the opposite side; the only
solution is to keep looking for productive commonality: are there still
things we can do together despite those differences; generally, there are,
at least that is my opinion

now you can say that your type of masses are in the overwhelming majority,
but that is subject to debate; in the west, knowledge workers are the
majority of the population; worldwide of course, this is not true, there is
a massive presence of agricultural and industrial workers ... but from my
own experience here in the South: they are just as motivated for digitally
enhanced cooperation; and creating a false dichotomy between knowledge
workers, who are digital commoners who are 'not aware' of the ecological
footprint, and others, who are assumed to reject digital commons, is just
not my experience, especially if one looks to the younger generations, the
aspiration to communicate is very strong; the urge to use the new methods to
keep in touch with their families (migrant workers in china and S-E asia),
or to organize and inform themselves in social struggles (chinese workers
using the internet to compare wages and organize strikes), just as important

in the end, I'm not sure what your complaint is, you were part of the
organising team, people had the freedom to propose and organize their own
workshops and recruit sympathizers and interested people to attend them ...
of course, some people disagree, and some people will shrug you off, as they
do me and others, this is to be expected and I can't see that as a problem