[p2p-research] P2P democracy?

Smári McCarthy smari at anarchism.is
Wed Dec 1 11:36:07 CET 2010

Hi all,

  So, the results are in. I lost. The vote was incredibly even for most
of the rounds - I eventually got eliminated after 377 rounds (out of 509
total), which put me in the top 25% of the candidates, roughly, but
nowhere near enough to get in.

  This just means that I'll have to focus on other stuff. There's a lot
to do. The 3rd annual Reykjavík Digital Freedoms Conference is today,
so I guess I'd better focus on that for now... and then there's all the
other stuff.

  I learned a lot, had a lot of fun, and now know how not to play this
game (clean). Of the people who did get in, none can be considered
representatives of the views prevalent in our community, and a few can
actually be considered hostile to those views. There are a few glimmers
of hope, a few members are somewhat oriented towards the ideas we share
but are very unaware of what's going on in the larger context. It would
be very useful to make some kind of "p2p constitution package" that
contains information about how networked societies need to be
represented in modern governance models.

   - Smári