[p2p-research] Fwd: Hudson: New Article: "Commerce in the Commons"

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 31 16:07:45 CEST 2010

> Dear Colleagues,
>
> The article "Commerce in the Commons: A New Conception of Environmental
and Natural Resource Regulation Under the Commerce Clause" has recently been
accepted for publication in the Harvard Environmental Law Review.  This
article applies the tragedy of the commons concept to the U.S. Supreme
Court's Commerce Clause jurisprudence - the Commerce Clause being the
constitutional basis for federal environmental regulatory authority in the
United States.  The article applies Elinor Ostrom's "appropriation" analysis
to resources present on privately owned lands to conclude that such
"privatized commons resources" meet established Commerce Clause tests for
determining the validity of federal environmental legislation in the U.S. -
and particularly the U.S.'s primary biodiversity statute, the Endangered
Species Act.  A working draft of the article can be downloaded here:

> http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=1663838
>
> Abstract:
> Scholars continue to debate the scope of Congress’s Commerce Clause
authority and whether fluctuations in the U.S. Supreme Court’s Commerce
Clause jurisprudence place federal environmental regulatory authority at
risk. Yet when one analyzes the Supreme Court’s major Commerce Clause cases
involving resource regulation since the beginning of the modern regulatory
state, a surprisingly consistent theme emerges: the Court has consistently
upheld federal authority to regulate zero-sum, finite resources over which
rivalry of use takes place – the key characteristics of a commons. The
Court’s Commerce Clause jurisprudence can be interpreted as treating these
“privatized commons resources” as necessarily meeting the third test for
determining the validity of federal legislation under the Commerce Clause –
the “substantial effects” test. Recognizing the use of commons analysis to
meet the substantial effects test is an important step, as it provides
security about
>  the continued protection of valuable natural resources, a clearer
statement of the Court’s approach in environmental cases and more certainty
and effectiveness in environmental and natural resources legislation.
Commons analysis also answers persistent questions arising in Commerce
Clause cases, including when the aggregation principle may be invoked to
find substantial effects on interstate commerce, what the “object of
regulation” is in environmental Commerce Clause cases, and the proper scope
of federal Commerce Clause authority given constitutional federalism
requirements.