[p2p-research] Fwd: Data Roads: P2P network physical topology.

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 31 12:36:47 CEST 2010

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Jared Hardy <jaredhardy at dataroads.org>
Date: Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 1:46 AM
Subject: Re: Data Roads: P2P network physical topology.
To: Michel Bauwens <michelsub2004 at gmail.com>
Cc: jaromil <jaromil at dyne.org>, Sepp Hasslberger <sepp at lastrega.com>,
olivier auber <olivierauber2 at gmail.com>

Thank you for the input Jaromil and Michel,

   I think the trepidation shown here about the Data Roads project is
indicative of its chicken-vs-egg inception problem status. Which comes
first: hackers or user demand? Aren't hackers really just working out
their own desires as users? Do you get the best hackers by having
existing code to hack on, or by presenting a novel ideas in need of
novel code?
   Also, the code-only view of hackerdom seems (to me) to discount
the necessary phases of design, study, documentation, testing, and
promotion that are inherent to any truly successful project. Projects
in the early design and study phases should never be immediately
discounted, at least not until they adhere to "golden cows" and goals
that are untrustworthy. Data Roads in particular proposes a physical
topology (hence the subject of this thread) more than the "virtual" or
"logical" topologies shown by existing P2P software (TOR, I2P, GNUnet,
FreeNet, etc.). The deployment problem is more about creating a social
understanding of the benefits of peer direct-networking than a
technological one. In this case, the peer is a physical neighbor.
Without that social understanding and demand, there will be no willing
experimenters in the physical deployment stage.

   Even without any new Data Roads router design, I could connect any
willing neighborhoods with existing router hardware, one or more
willing wholesale broadband providers, and a mix of OSPF and OSLR mesh
topologies. That is the intent of my other non-profit project
NELA-ISC.Net. The first problem Data Roads really intends to solve is
creating a wider demand for this type of neighbor-to-neighbor mesh
installation, regardless of the technology used. The next problem I
foresee, and want to deal with early via the router project, is
stitching these meshes together seamlessly once they grow into
adjacency. It may be a grotesque ambition, but I would like the
capability of stitching these meshes globally as well as locally, with
little to no process overhead.

   I really appreciate the exception Michel and others in the P2P
Foundation have made here. I do not claim to have all the best ideas
for Data Roads, P2P networking, or any other concept. P2P Foundation
seems to reach an audience on a much wider scale from philosophy to
technology, and this is the same kind of audience the Data Roads
project needs input from.

   Thank you,
   Jared Hardy