[p2p-research] building a knowledge commons, the p2p way --> feedback from Natalie

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 23 15:51:40 CEST 2010

Hi Natalie,

thanks for your commentary on the Cook report, part 2, still not officially
out .. you seem to be one of the few who was able to open the document ...
if you can send me a doc version of yours, perhaps the others will be able
to open your version ..

yes, I'm interesting in projects where I could advise others on building
knowledge commons, based on what we have learned ..

as for the boundaries, I see essentially three:

1) one is topical, i.e. there has to be some limitations as to what is
covered

2) one is perspectival, i.e. the material is built from a certain
perspectives, which permits plurality, but nevertheless sets some boundary,
i.e. p2p as defined as open, participatory, commons but within that,
interpretation is free

3) ethical, in our case, our p2p perspective would prohibit outright
racist or sexist expressions; another aspect of ethics is in the form, i.e.
overt insults and personal attacks for example. Kevin recently banned a
member of our list for using 'sounds gay' 'old little men' and 'wading
through your filth'.

Of course, this does not obviate the issues of power, i.e. who issues these
limits, how are they enforced, is there a due process etc...