[p2p-research] Fwd: "Geo-Engineering" Is A Declaration of War That Doesn't Care About Democracy

Samuel Rose samuel.rose at gmail.com
Thu Aug 19 18:16:27 CEST 2010

Hi folks, a very interesting discussion.

I wanted to interject one thought, which is that in many ways humans
have been "geo engineering" since very ancient times. Many examples
are brought to light in the book
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1491:_New_Revelations_of_the_Americas_Before_Columbus
and in turn the academic studies it sources.

Several centuries ago, humans on North American continent refined the
use of fire to intentionally transform hundreds of miles of landscape.
This activity resulted in complex adaptive changes in the ecology of
North America across the continent, including opening up of thousands
of square miles of prairies as habitat for bison, which used to reach
all the way to Western NY, and polyculture groves of nut and fruit
trees and bushes mixed with prime habitat for grazing game animals.
All of this was the product of periodic burning, which cleared out
huge swaths of choking vegetation, making conditions better for food
producing plants, and wild grazing herd animals. We have no idea what
effect this had on global climate. But, you can imagine that since the
climate was, and is a system, there was some effect on the climate due
to the transformation of huge parts a continent.  The history of
Europe has examples on equal scale, and so does the history of Asia,
the Middle East, etc.

There is also evidence of diversion of rivers causing unintended
destructive effects to both civilizations and landscapes (examples
from 1491 include the Cahokia site, and several Mayan sites).

In our modern world, a city is beyond the shadow of a doubt an example
of both intended and unintended "geo engineering".  The effects of
cities on the regional environment and global climate are well
evident.

It seems my point here is that throughout history, the pattern seems
to be that with humans, comes large scale ecological, climatological,
and geo logical transformation, intended and un-intended. There's now
a component of ethics, where people are starting to recognize the air,
water, outer space, and the planet as a "commons".  Framing activities
in this way forces us to think about the unintended outcomes of our
intentions.

We're now dealing with the emergence of many unintended outcomes from
our current and previous actions. So, I take very seriously that there
are many people considering a scaling up of "geo engineering" to
faster temporal scales, and global physical scales. Personally, I
believe our past as a species, and the natural history of Earth offers
us some clues. "Geoengineering" can create a causal momentum, but the
environment in which it happens has a huge effect on the outcome of
"geo-engineering" initiations. If we are conserving, restoring, and
propagating more diverse ecologies that work the way that complex
ecologies like forests work, we'll have a better chance of bringing
back a balance to the earth's systems in a way that can absorb sharp
fluctuations.

If we are to pursue "geo-engineering", let the bulk of time, energy
and resources go towards creating/restoring wild or human-made systems
that use cycles of bio-ecology for creation of energy for people and
machines, processing of waste, and transformation of landscapes.
Change the way that many people live in this way, and it will create a
lasting environment of change in the ecology and climate of the world
(as billions of years of living history on this planet seem to
confirm).

On Thu, Aug 19, 2010 at 4:58 AM, Michel Bauwens <michelsub2004 at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]

Sam Rose
Future Forward Institute and Forward Foundation
Tel:+1(517) 639-1552
Cel: +1-(517)-974-6451
skype: samuelrose
email: samuel.rose at gmail.com