[p2p-research] gaming social news

Samuel Rose samuel.rose at gmail.com
Tue Aug 17 17:48:04 CEST 2010

It's worth thinking about how Digg compares to the
http://newstrust.net/ community. The two sites arose from different
cultures, and very different understandings of media ecologies.

Digg, in part, comes from the begginings of the Web 2.0 bubble,
Silicon Valley, and the notion of "crowdsourcing". Content over
people. I imagine the majority of Digg users as people in office
cubicles, who are not really supposed to even be using the internet
while at work, and who sneak quick peeks and comments and submissions.
It's like a snack, or junkfood news.

Newstrust comes more from the perspective of "Virtual Community",
still in part origins from Silicon Valley, but a different culture
that leans more towards people over content. I think the quality of
Newstrust voluntary contribution is higher, and I think it is because
it is more people centered.

On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 11:31 AM, Michel Bauwens
<michelsub2004 at gmail.com> wrote:
> http://shareable.net/blog/when-socially-curated-news-fails
>
> This is quite significant, though not news for us I suppose,
>
> Sepp, would you have any time to comment on this, and give your ideas on the
> topic?
>
> has anyone else here thought more about curation?
>
> Michel
>
> --
> P2P Foundation: http://p2pfoundation.net  - http://blog.p2pfoundation.net

> Think tank: http://www.asianforesightinstitute.org/index.php/eng/The-AFI

Sam Rose
Future Forward Institute and Forward Foundation
Tel:+1(517) 639-1552
Cel: +1-(517)-974-6451
skype: samuelrose
email: samuel.rose at gmail.com