[p2p-research] Josef Davies-Coates says we reached $470 in one day ..

Josef Davies-Coates lists at uniteddiversity.com
Tue Aug 17 16:14:32 CEST 2010

On 17 August 2010 14:48, Michel Bauwens <michelsub2004 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Amazing,
>
> I'm guessing it's best to continue and get more?

As I write we're now up to $520 :)

 and then publish a status report at the end of five days?

Yeah, it will automatically run and keep accepting donations until the 5
days is up.

I have to admit, I'm now very slightly regretting having gone and paid Ning
for a whole year since it probably wont take us that long to build a new
home, but c'est la vie. Live and learn I guess. I think I perhaps got a
little carried away with the excitement of it all!

However, since that is what I said we'd do on the fundraising page I guess
it's only right that that is what I did.

We can also discuss with the list, how to use the extra money,

> My proposal is to split the extra money for the development of the
> alternative, and help James defray the server cost he is been covering on
> his own, if need be, to give him the sum for next year,

My proposal is to put out a bounty for someone to write a script/ web app to
make it easy for both us and other communities to migrate from Ning to free
software solutions (e.g. wordpress, drupal, etc.)

In fact, since we've got a whole year to play with, I'd quite like to try
another funding drive to raise an even greater sum, both to fund this bounty
and for a big fat new server for the new network as well as existing blog
and wiki.

Smiles,

Josef.