[p2p-research] Issue of bullying within private p2p-f communication

Ryan Lanham rlanham1963 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 15 18:59:31 CEST 2010

Sorry, I've been off a bit.  It is probably appropriate for someone else to
pick up my list support duties as my personally life keeps me too busy to do
much.

I have liked Alex and I don't see this as parallel to Nathan or the other
fellow whose name I forget.

Alex is not loony.  He is angry.  What is coming through here is a
frustration, to my mind, with the idea of Michel's guidance of the
foundation as its founder and, effectively, it's proxy owner or surrogate.
I don't think that frustration is merited.  I think a point was being
made...but that lives were at stake in the discussion.  Namely, Michel has a
personal stake in his role in what the Foundation is and what it becomes,
and anyone who doesn't understand that has never started anything.

That said, organizations have the right to govern themselves how they see
fit within the law.  In fact, I think that's what Alex has been saying as
I've read it.  But organizations don't follow ideals and are imperfect.
That much I know.

I have long admired Michel as I do still, and he is a man of ideals while
yet, as anyone, imperfect.

Sadly, language has been used here on both sides that burned bridges.  In
business, I've long learned to avoid such language.  No good comes of it.
Ever.  It merely raises stakes until someone must crack and walk.  If that's
the intent, it is a form of "chicken" as in racing two cars toward each
other until someone flinches.

I recommend, you both try to write something conciliatory...and if that is
impossible to find a path of mutually beneficial advancement, I recommend
Alex move on.  He is a smart guy and has a thousand futures.  I also
recommend that the governance processes of the Foundation become more
formal...whatever the ideal in play.  Organizations always have crises, and
this one will be no different.  Mechanisms to face them will always be
necessary.

Ryan

Ryan Lanham
rlanham1963 at gmail.com