[p2p-research] Issue of bullying within private p2p-f communication

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 15 08:19:58 CEST 2010

Sam,

Thanks for this,

I am torn between two positions, but frankly, deep within me, it is the
drastic measures approach that is the only one that will clean up the air.

So, the conciliatory position is: Alex retracts his intention, and accepts a
moratorium, say 6 weeks or two months, this allows passions to die down, and
Alex can think of ways to contribute, that do not impinge the freedom of
others, and also  learns to restrain the bullying and other modalities we
talked about.

The second, and frankly more true position I have now is. Alex contributions
are detrimental to the project, his behaviour is inacceptable in a
cooperative venture, nothing is really going to solve this since he has had
a lot of time and occasions to behave in a conciliatory manner. He simply
cannot see there is a problem.

So, the action here would be clear: explusion. Kevin takes measures
regarding the list, in the context of the bullying. And James takes the step
to ban Alex from the wiki. Life goes on, Alex finds another way to use his
creative energies, and perhaps one day, if calm has returned, makes another
more modest attempt that recognizes the existing and previous contributors.

It's really becoming a human drama where the choice is between a p2p-f
dominated by Alex, and one that is more organically growing and where I
still have a place myself.

Michel