[p2p-research] future of ning community

Josef Davies-Coates lists at uniteddiversity.com
Sat Aug 14 02:05:01 CEST 2010

On 13 August 2010 21:16, Samuel Rose <samuel.rose at gmail.com> wrote:

> We'd in the past discussed replacing it with Drupal, ELGG, Statusnet,
> GNUSocial, etc.
>
> I have some fundraising tools on hand for p2p foundation that I'd
> gladly put towards this.

I was thinking of whacking something up on http://www.indiegogo.com/ which
IMHO is the best all round quick and easy crowdfunding platform at the
moment.

In fact, I actually starting doing it but got stumbled by the fact the
minimum that you can ask for is $500 and we only need $200 to keep the Ning
going*.

Now I've just read their FAQ I'm not sure this $500 minimum actually matters
though:

"What happens if my project does not reach its campaign goal?
"IndieGoGo still disburses the funds the project raised upon expiration. "

However, perhaps this $500 minimum is actually a blessing in disguise...

We can say we're raising $200 to keep the Ning online for another year and
we'll use the other $300 towards the costs of building an open source
alternative using Drupal.

If we raise less than $200 we can ask the contributors what they'd like us
to do with the money instead.

Shall I just go ahead with this idea?

Josef.

* there is a cheaper Ning package, but we can't go for that because we
already have more than the 150 members that allows