[p2p-research] On Alex Rollin stated intentions to expel me from the P2P Foundation board

Kevin Carson free.market.anticapitalist at gmail.com
Thu Aug 12 21:24:59 CEST 2010

On 8/12/10, Michel Bauwens <michelsub2004 at gmail.com> wrote:

> But, Alex also brings a second set of changes, to which I strongly object.
> And this is nothing less than a vision of content as code. Alex sees content
> as consisting of a series of modular, that can be re-used, pretty much as
> software does.

> So, not only is it difficult for me to change a page, but when I do, I have
> to make sure that the change is consistent over the various parts where Alex
> has seeded that content. And this needs to be done for every piece of code.

> This creates two additional problems. One is that if both visions fuse. What
> you then get is material in the wiki, which claims to be positivistic, and
> therefore unsigned, and starts telling people, "this is p2p". In that case,
> what I do is to put the so-called objective intro in the discussion field
> and sign it Alex Rollin, making it a legitimate but partial vision. But of
> course, when I do that, I run into all the problems above, and Alex starts
> screaming that I'm damaging his code, as changes here, affect changes in
> another place.

If I understand this correctly, it is completely insidious.  My
consistent response, in the face of arguments from people like Jaron
Lanier and Andrew Keen that network organization destroys "authorial
voice," is that stigmergy preserves the utmost in both individualism
and collective action, without compromising or impairing either.

But if individual voice and temporal/authorial context are obscured by
a schematizing approach and a false unity or objectivity of voice,
this is not true.  IMO the wiki should not attempt to conceal, behind
a false monolith, the fact that it is the composite work of many
individuals with individual viewpoints.

I don't know if the Myers-Briggs typology is relevant here, but it
seems to me that _NTJ types, as opposed to _NTPs, are far more prone
to authoritarian attempts to impose the one correct pattern on other
people.
--
Kevin Carson
Mutualist Blog:  Free Market Anti-Capitalism