[p2p-research] some wiki editing rules

Alex Rollin alex.rollin at gmail.com
Tue Aug 10 09:23:25 CEST 2010

For clarification purposes, all edits to the State Capitalism page
were performed by me.

I reverted all of Michel's changes.  You can review the history here:

http://p2pfoundation.net/State_Capitalism?title=State_Capitalism&action=history

I wish that there were more red links, but I will find time to add the
pages when I get a chance.  I just wish there were more red links so
others could see them as pointers so they would feel free and invited
to add them, too.  Patrick noticed them immediately and added a
definition.  That's what I'm talking about.  he and I regularly add to
the recent changes and interlink pages.

I do not intend to redo all the pages on the wiki with this
formatting, but I do intend to do this and more for important articles
that serve the purpose of supporting materials that are used in the
"Commons Based Peer Production" definitional framework.  The local
name for this is the "P2P Collaboration Stack" (P2PStack), a resource
collection of tools, methods, and protocol to aid individuals and
groups in using a Commons-Based Peer Production approach.  The
educational approach fo the curriculum and resource is
action-research.  Users are contributors on the wiki and regularly
update wiki pages with research and findings for review by the peer
community.

This is the first public course in Commons-Based Peer Production, and
it draws on material from the P2P Foundation Wiki heavily.  Users of
the P2P Stack are going to be moving back and forth between a lot of
sites.  Their needs are mixed between adding pasted definitions that
meet with historical usage on the wiki as well as crafting nuanced
additions that wouldn't be possible in the same pages on Wikipedia.
Not only this, but there are structured sections to be added that
explicitly declare P2P perspectives on the term/article/subject under
scrutiny.  Clean pages with clear markup and easily replicated
templates are important for this endeavor.  The articles are more
complex than the traditional paste job, and contain different
perspectives within different sections.  Users want their pages to
look professional as they are sharing them with outside organizations,
where users are familiar with wikipedia formatting.  The outside users
compare our site to other informational sites and the articles are
formatted to allay their expectations with documents that they can
easily traverse with a sensible information flow.

I can understand that the use of =,==,===, and ==== headings could be
seen as additional complexity, but structured documents with external
links and inline citations using the cite extension make for a
pleasant reading experience.  It's professional looking, and allows
other editors to easily insert what they need into the page by using
additional sections.  Those editors are allowed to use any citation
format they like, but I encourage them to use the cite extension
because it is easy and creates a professional looking page they can be
proud to share.  It is more like MLA formatting than the historical
option of inline URLs and allows the re-use of a reference without
retyping it or cluttering the body of the page.

Because there are so few editors on the wiki it is important that
there be an agreement about how to use things, yes, and controlling
the formatting for every page would seem to be a losing battle as long
as new editors come in.  New editors will always make mistakes.  In
most cases these are not disastrous.  If they are on an important
subject, we fix them, and educate where possible.  Using wanted pages
is great.  Wanted categories, anyone?

http://p2pfoundation.net/Special:WantedCategories?title=Special:WantedCategories&limit=500&offset=0

Delete or add to another category as subcategory, please!