[p2p-research] some wiki editing rules

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 10 09:12:31 CEST 2010

Hi Sam,

I don't think this would work at this stage.

There are different pages with wishlists on our wiki already ... it's not
getting done ... we don't have a critical mass of users yet ..

I think the best policy is simply moderation, add links which you reasonably
think you or others will fill in ...

I think the case of the state capitalism is special, because unless I'm
mistaken, they were just copied into our wiki,

but this is exceptionally, most times, links are added manually, and there
you just need some restraint,

again, some dead links are not the issue here, only the systematic creation
of links with no intent to fill them

I'm not advocating a absolutist or extremist ban on dead links ... my
concern is born out of the experience that they are not taken up, and that
this was the single most important cause of complaints I got when we used to
do this ..

I'll make a new appeal for something that I think is important, was done by
Nathan Cravens, and where the code was a definite useful and added plus,

in most sections, the intro's are getting too long and voluminous, and
nathan's simple double column solution makes the entirety of the material
much more accessible,

can anyone assist with converting the totality of wiki sections to this
improved format?

SOLUTION OF SAM

I would like to suggest that we could maybe do the following on dead links:
1. We need a way to contact active wiki participants as a group
2. We audit them once per month, by viewing
http://p2pfoundation.net/Special:WantedPages and then put out a call
on front page of wiki, and to this list, etc, for people to help build
those pages, with a stated deadline, and a description of what is
minimally needed (should be part of wiki policy somewhere as to what a
stub should minimally contain).
3. If at the end of "x" amount of time, a page is not created (1
month? 1 week?), a bot is used to remove it from
http://p2pfoundation.net/Special:WantedPages list (which removes the
dead link)