[p2p-research] some wiki editing rules

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 10 08:35:02 CEST 2010

hi alex,

I'm responding to the specific case where I removed some of your code after
various attempts to make the categories reappear, but there were more
issues,

- the article had a very large clipping from wikipedia, that seemed quite
unrelated to p2p, at least in my judgment, but the main issue was that you
had also massively copied the internal links of that wiki article in a way
that was entirely diffrent from our own practice ...

- neither the source nor the categories appeared in the visible page

- there was a lot of code which apparently aims at sourcing material from
other pages, but didn't show any content

The two issues for me are the following, there is so much code, not just
around the text but within the text, that editing becomes a very tedious
manual process, like proofreading, and this is a massive drain on my time.
Most of the code has no apparent process than to create idealized
possiblities that are not being used at all, they create clutter without
adding value. Now, ther eason I finally removed the code was not out of
spite, nor to destroy you, but because after repeated attempts to remove
this and that type of code, the categories and source would still not
appear, and so in the end, I just removed them all, and it worked .. the
source and the categories became visible again.

The example itself is not important, as you know, I very rarely remove or
change your contributions, I assume it's for the best, even if I do not
agree with it all, but the key for me is non-interference ... i.e. if your
additions do not hamper anybody else (say what I call category inflation, I
don't really like it, but it doesn't harm anyone since they remain mostly
unused and invisible),

And a lot of, most of what you do, is valuable, extremely valuable

but the accumulation of work over time, the fact that editing becomes so
tedious and time consuming, the fact that most of the extra code is
inoperative but clutters, the fact that you seem to consider yourself the
superior party who needs to enlighten me, and the unresponsiveness towards
basic rules that were followed here for over four years (like the dead links
rule, the use of capitals in entry names), ends up discouraging me ...

Our conflict may be psychological ... you come out with a background which
gives you an identity as a leader and expert ... I had that role ... ...most
people who join have more modest bearings and we talk things out

None of the rules we've set in the past are stet in stone and beyond
discussion, but making changes when there are already 13,000 articles that
used another standard, should be done with care and after discussion, and if
we disagree, we ask the community for input .. this is the way it's been
done in the past, without major problems ...

You changed an enormous amount of things without consultation, I'm sure you
are aware of that. You started using wikipedia conventions, which implies
dozens and dozens of differences with the way things were done, but this was
never discussed,

why should we just emulate the wikipedia .. we are a media wiki, but not the
wikipedia, they are neutral, we are perspectival, they use a scarcity
paradigm, we not ... this is just an example ... where the form you choose,
implies all kind of changes  and presuppositions which were never discussed,
and you were just supposing I have to comply with them ... most of the time,
I do not bother, I have to choose where to spent my energy, including for
the airing of differences

you say that you create policies on what I stated was useful, but I have
only seen very little of that, I can simply see that the way you edit your
pages in new ways and new formats, mean you have not looked at the way it
was done in the past

and yes, you mention that you create a lot of documents, a lot of them
useful, and you ask for comments, but the volume of changes is such that I
can only respond to a fraction of them ... because you are so productive
yourself, like me but in different fields and areas, following you is nearly
a full time job ... I can't do it and this is why I continuously discover
things, some of which I feel is problematical ..

So, if I react Alex, don't consider it as a lack of respect, though I am
angry at times, but simple as the only way I have found to create a dam,
where multiple private communications have not made a dent in stopping a
direction I strongly disapprove of (again, not all you do, but the things
you do specifically which affect the ease of edting that was once possible)

I'm defending something that I see as a core approach, I consider low
threshold participation to be one of the main cores of p2p, in a way that
indeed shows me as an ass sometimes, but I have to do this as long as I see
no other way to defend something crucial .. we have to fight sometimes with
the inadequate weapons we have ...

and you know the feeling is mutual, when I talk with you, I feel exactly the
same, my point of view is totally not taken into account, I'm considered the
inferior party who has to listen and learn and adapt, and the master will
eventually deign to make a small change to what he deeply knows is the right
and superior way to do things .. but since the deeper meaning of my
disagreement is not understood, it doesn't really solve anything ..

Michel