[p2p-research] universal design

Massimo Menichinelli info at openp2pdesign.org
Sun Aug 8 16:20:05 CEST 2010

I'm not so sure that we can actually link Universal Design (as it is
called in the USA) or Design for All (as it is called in Europe) to P2P
trends.
I studied it about 10 years ago but I remember it's not about
participatory design or design for enabling p2p dynamics or open models.
Though it is very important, it is about designing products, services
and so on in a way that they are proper for disabled people and "common
people" at the same time. No more "special" products for disabled people
and "common" products for everybody else: Universal Design proposes to
design all the products as if they were to be used by everybody (hence
the "universal" name).

It's about considering ergonomics (but not participation) in the design
process. I don't see it as P2P, it is a way to design better products
for everybody.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Design
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Design_for_All_(design_philosophy)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ergonomics

--
Massimo Menichinelli

openp2pdesign.org
Metadesign for Open Systems, Processes, Projects.
Studying and enabling Design for Open, Collaborative and Complex Systems
since 2005.

http://www.openp2pdesign.org/
http://twitter.com/openp2pdesign