[p2p-research] does openness and p2p have a class basis?

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 7 07:45:16 CEST 2010

thanks Franz,

I think both views are true,

i.e. that openness, peer to peer, commons and other values are particularly
driven by a new type of labour, which has some of the characteristics of the
digital artisans, and that this is essentially driven by having access and
control over the means of intellectual production .. this is new and did not
exist on that scale before the internet

on the other hand, it is also an aspect of at least one billion humans,
regardless of their structural position ...

I would agree that it would make little sense to develop a 'class position'
on this, to pretend it is a 'class struggle' by digital artisans,

it is rather, in the second sense, a production of the 'multitude' (though I
don't like to use this term either, outside of the intellectual class, it
falls totally flat)

Michel