[p2p-research] does openness and p2p have a class basis?

Franz Nahrada f.nahrada at reflex.at
Fri Aug 6 14:37:47 CEST 2010

Thanks Michel for the extra forward.

On one side I am inclined to say yes, of course, and on the other side its
really hard to track down something like a distinct class base of openness
and P2P.

One could easily argue that p2p mirrors "empowerded labour" able to create
its own base for associating - while traditionally the social web of
labour was a product of capital. Information technology brought us nearer
to the "general intellect" and "general productive worker" that Marx
envisioned in Grundrisse.

Its amazing though the socio-economic form of many of our activities is
self-employment and "leisure" time. So thats hardly related to a class
position. What we see and observe that people like to work in coworking
style, clusters and hubs.

All in all, the emphasis on class and class struggle might be attached to
a contested concept of political theory and practise. At least I would not
give it the status of a self-explanatory buzzword any more.

Franz