[p2p-research] Is peer production a real mode of production?

Kevin Carson free.market.anticapitalist at gmail.com
Wed Aug 4 06:23:25 CEST 2010

On 7/28/10, Michel Bauwens <michelsub2004 at gmail.com> wrote:

> what I'm saying 'exactly', is that peer production to evolve from the
> current seed form to full modality, needs to be able to socially reproduce
> itself ..
>
> I disagree with dmytri that it is only a distribution format, I do think
> peer production 'produces', but, it can not a present socially reproduce
> itself outside of capitalism,
>
> doing that requires a convincing linkage between its immaterial and material
> aspects,
>
> as for kondratieff, I think that a half-wave is a possibility, but not
> necessarily a successfull one,

What do you mean by a half-wave:  a smaller wave of capital
investment, in monetary terms, than those of the past?

I agree that peer production needs to reproduce itself, but I question
whether it can do so in a way that's compatible with Kondratiev waves
or Gordon's social structures of accumulation, because new
technologies have the novel effect of making large quantities of
capital superfluous in ways that suggest future economic models won't
serve as large-scale investment sinks.

--
Kevin Carson
Mutualist Blog:  Free Market Anti-Capitalism